A Tasty MBA : Short Look into Burgundy School of Business MBA in Wine and Spirits Business
You have arrived at the best place to exer-cise your passion: Burgundy, the heart of the global wine and spirits economy. Surroun-ded with powerful secrets of wine and spirits production, commerce & innovation, TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE: be engaged, committed, curious, adventurous.
SAY YES to all around you. Taste everything, alone and in combination. Talk to everyone, for what you might learn. CHALLENGE yourself. Let your love of the wine and spirits business shine through.
BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED! This is your time to become the best possible version of yourself. Embrace tradition while you cultivate and lead change.
One of the goals of this programme is to expose our students to a very global industry, with key consumption markets on three continents, emerging markets on three more, and production areas scattered all over the world. We believe our students will take full advantage of small group contacts with professors, lecturers and high-level professional speakers, both inside and outside the classroom.
The MBA Wine & Spirits Business is designed for high-potential graduates who have a passion for wine and spirits and at least 3 years’ work experience. This intense programme, which has a strong strategic, commercial and management focus, gives students a sound grasp of the requirements of the global market by offering them a diversity of cultural experiences and developing their understanding of the intricacies of the global business of wine and spirits.
It is ideal for those looking to reach middle to upper managerial positions in the industry or create their own business. It offers a wide range of professional outcomes.
Ranked 2nd in France for International MBAs (*), we believe the content of the pro-gramme, together with the rich variety of high-achieving students joining this MBA from all regions of the World, makes it a truly life-changing experience!
- Double accredited by AACSB and EQUIS, Burgundy School of Business is ranked among the top 1% of business schools in the world
- The Specialised Master in International Wine & Spirits Business (MS CIVS – taught in French), the longest standing international programme, is ranked no.1 in France and no.3 in the world (Eduniversal 2019)
- The MBA Wine & Spirits Business (taught in English) is ranked second best international MBA taught in France (Le Moci 2020)
- A world-recognised programme portfolio: MBA, Specialised Masters, MSc and Bachelor programmes, all featured in the top international and national rankings
- Product-Business-Sector Skills: courses dedicated to production methods, tasting techniques and the world’s wine and spirits markets, all taught by School of Wine & Spirits Business professors and the Burgundy University’s Jules Guyot Institute.
- The international benchmark WSET Wine 2 or 3 professional training incorporated into all programmes, providing a significant career boost for all graduating students, as well as WSET 2 Spirits training.
- Management skills: modules dedicated to Marketing, Management, Law and Finance, as applied to the wine and spirits economy
- Entrepreneurship skills and the design of a business plan
- Field trips to iconic wine and spirits markets and to the most renowned French vineyards
The first of its kind in the world entirely dedicated to education and research into wine and spirits management:
- The Wine & Spirits Business Lab, a behavioural research laboratory dedicated to the world of wine and spirits
- The Tasting Room, a state-of-the-art room comprising 32 fully equipped places for tasting classes and research activity
- The Cellar, a 12-degree storage cellar, a showcase situated at the building’s entrance and housing the institution’s collection of bottles; a prime resource for more informal tasting sessions
- The Spirits World, an area specially dedicated to spirits
- The Business Lounge, a sophisticated and elegant reception area
4A VARIETY OF STUDENT AND STUDY PROFILES
- The student cohort represents around 20 nationalities from five continents on campus per year
- Programmes promote the acquisition of multicultural soft skills specific to the Wine & Spirits Industry
- Class dynamic that contributes to the creation of a professional network
5a WINE AND SPIRITS NETworK LIKE NO Other
- A 2000-strong alumni network plus the support of the 16,000-strong global BSB alumni community
- Track-specific expert partners, representing the areas of Import/Export, Distribution, Production, Marketing and Innovation.
- Regular contact with industry leaders based in France and abroad (including the Americas and Asia) via courses, conferences, field trips.
- Courses delivered in face-to-face, small group set-ups (20-25 students on average), facilitating the learning process, and dialogue between and
4– MBA Wine & Spirits Business (in English) programmes
– specialised master in international wine & spirits business (CIVS) (in French)
– MSc Wine Management (in English)
follow-up of students
- A career and a coaching center designed to support students in setting up their professional project and in looking for internships and jobs
- One-on-one assistance with the admissions procedure, visa applications, and finding accommodation
- Personalised guidance, including an integration week and team building activities
that combines academic expertise and industry know-how
The School of Wine & Spirits Business faculty consists of both academic experts including Steve Charters, a Master of Wine and highly experienced professionals working in the industry.
Their aim is to conduct top-level research activity that can be used to enrich the content of the programmes, whilst nurturing close ties with the sector and the companies operating within it.
- Dr Jérôme Gallo, Director of the School of Wine & Spirits Business, Professor of Economics
- Dr Lara Agnoli, PhD, Professor of Economics and Marketing
- Dr Yann Chabin, Professor of Management
- Claude Chapuis, Professor of Wine-growing and Culture, Wine Writer and Journalist
- Pr Steve Charters, PhD, Master of Wine, Professor of Marketing
- Laurence Cogan-Marie, Professor of Marketing and Wine Tourism
- Pr Nikos Georgantzis, Director of the Wine & Spirits Business Lab, Professor of Experimental Economics
- Pr Théodoros Georgopoulos, Professor of International Law, lawyer specialising in wine and spirits, expert advisor to the European Commission, Director of the Institut Georges Chappaz (Wine and Champagne Institute), Chairman of the Greek Wine Producers Association
- Pierre Joulié, Director of the MSc in Wine Management, Associate Professor of Finance
- Dr David Ménival, Adjunct Professor and Director of the Champagne branch of Crédit Agricole Grand-Est
- Frédéric Mercier, Director of the Specialised Master in International Wines & Spirits Business, Associate Professor of Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Pr Jean-François outreville, Adjunct Professor specialising in the wine economy
- Jacques Thébault, Director of the MBA Wine & Spirits Business, Associate Professor of Marketing, International Business & Leadership
- Dr Jean-Christian Tisserand, Professor of Economics
Pr Nikos Georgantzis
Director of the Wine & Spirits Business Lab
The Wine & Spirits Business Lab is the only research laboratory dedicated to behavioural studies into the wines and spirits sector. The set-up employs experimental economics techniques in order to explore the emotions, cognitive processes and decision-making factors that influence consumers, producers and experts in their actions and opinions. The Lab team works in close collaboration with partners from the wine production industry, students and universities from all over the world, an open set-up that enables them to produce academic research that is both intellectually stimulating and of genuine use to society.
60 academic and professional guest speakers from the French and international worlds of wines and spirits, including recent appearances from:
- Wesley Boas, Marketing Director / Still Wines, Pernod Ricard, USA
- Garvin Brown, Chairman of the Board, Brown-Forman
- Laurent Cutier, CEO, Heavensake, USA
- David Drucker, Executive Vice President of Sales, Empire Merchants, USA
- Mathieu Duchemin, Managing Director, Moët Hennessy Diageo Singapore/Malaysia
- Pascaline Lepeltier, Best French Sommelier 2018, Meilleur Ouvrier de France 2018, Managing Partner, Racines, NY
- Hadrien Mouflard, Managing Director, Champagne Ayala & Co
- Jolana Novotna, Europe Export Director, Maison Joseph Drouhin
- Marc Strachan, Chairman ADCOLOR, Ex. VP Marketing Diageo North America
- Liz Thach, Master of Wine, Professor of Marketing, Wine Business Institute Sonoma State University (USA)
- Tim Triptree, Master of Wine, International Director, Wine at Christie’s
- Michael Werner, Research & Insight Executive, Berry & Rudd (London)
- Damien Wilson, Hamel Family Chair in Wine Business, Sonoma State University (USA)
RESEARCH At THE
SCHOOL OF WINE & SPIRITs BUSINESs
Some team members work closely with our partners from the industry, students and other academics from the BSB and all over the world (California, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom, South Africa, India, Greece, etc.) in order to be inspired/and inspire other researchers on the themes which we study with a vision to provide a practical and academically stimulating output to the society.
The research department includes The Wine & Spirits Business Lab, a unique concept worldwide and the publication of articles in peer-reviewed journals, prestigious publications aimed at a scientific community, publication of a reference guide on wine economics and management etc.
« Key SPonsors »,
The School of Wine & Spirits Business ecosystem stakeholders
The School of Wine & Spirits Business benefits from partnership by key representatives of the Burgundy wine and spirits industry. Our Key Sponsors encap-sulate the commitment received from the leading figures of the Burgundy wine-growing scene to the School’s various activities.
Students who have come from all over the world to study at the School of Wine & Spirits Business therefore have the chance to immerse themselves completely in the world of wine, Burgundy-style, as soon as they arrive.
- Albéric Bichot, CEO, Maison Albert Bichot
- Thierry Brouin, Clos des Lambrays, LVMH
- Jean-François Curie, CEO, Maison Boisset – La Famille des Grands Vins
- Frédéric & Véronique Drouhin, CEO and Oenologist, Maison Joseph Drouhin
- Erwan Faiveley, CEO, Maison Faiveley
- Nathalie Fèvre, President of the Association for the Women and Wines of Burgundy
- Pierre-Henry Gagey, Chairman, Maison Louis Jadot
- Ludivine Griveau, Manager, Domaine des Hospices de Beaune
- Louis-Fabrice Latour, CEO, Maison Louis Latour
- As well as Guillaume Deglise, Rose-Marie Ponsot & Sylvain Pitiot among other key figures
THE MBA WINE & SPIRITS BUSINESS
Jacques Thébault acquired extensive experience within the Sopexa Group (communications and marketing consulting agency, notably specialised in wines and spirits). His solid managerial background in the USA, Southern Europe, Switzerland and France, led him to become the Shanghai-based director of seven agencies in Asia. His unique experience has given him an in-depth understanding of international markets: consumer behaviour, distribution channels, B2B and B2C marketing strategy and communications, and Business Unit management. In addition to programme management, his role includes enhancing ties with international professional guest speakers, and teaching courses in international marketing and leadership.
In-depth knowledge of the specific business skills (strategy, management, marketing & commercial) required for the global wine and spirits market
- Modules in wine and spirits fundamentals (viticulture, oenology etc.) in partnership with Burgundy University’s Jules Guyot Institute.
- A world-famous certification in the wine and spirits education: WSET 2 and/or 3 Wine training, WSET 2 Spirits training with a Master of Wine
- Field trips in Burgundy (viticultural classes in Aloxe Corton vineyards, Clos des Lambrays) and Champagne (visits organized to leading Champagne houses), Jura and Beaujolais or Rhône
- Modules in Management applied to the industry, with a special focus on wine and spirits marketing
- A Wine and Law seminar in Champagne
- A Strategic Planning & Disruption Seminar
- A head of programme with 25 years of hands-on and managerial work experience in the wine and spirits sector over 3 continents
- Objective-driven learning through company sponsored case studies and group workshops on specialized topics (leadership workshops, entrepreneurship, negotiation)
INSIGHTS INTO THE CORPORate WORLD
- Trips to two emblematic wine and spirits markets: the ‘London Wine Exporting, Distribution & Production Trip’ and the ‘New York Distribution, Marketing & Communications Trip’
- Professional talks by top managers of the wine and spirits industry (the ‘Wine & Spirits VIP Rooms’)
- Professional trade fair: ProWein in Germany
- About 8 to 10 nationalities creating cultural and professional diversity among students
- International faculty and experts from all around the world
- Diversity in the classroom and in experience
- Partnerships with universities around the world
- Digitalization : seminar in Germany in partnership with Geisenheim University
- Viticulture & Oenology
- Sensorial analysis with an intercultural approach
- Wines of the World
- Spirits & Liqueurs of the World
- WSET Wine 2 and/or 3 training, WSET 2 Spirits training
- Economic environment
- Market & Actors
- Company Strategy
- Evaluating Wine Markets
- Wine & Society & Industry Challenges
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Wine & Spirits Marketing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Brand Positioning
- Brand Plan, Business Review, Creative Development
- PR & e-reputation
- Wine Business Finance
- Autumn School (Champagne)
- International & Contemporary Legal Issues
Workshop in leadership
Personal branding 1 & Leadership
Spirits and liquors of the world
Wine Business research
International Markets & Distribution
- Export Strategies
- negotiation Training
- London and New York Learning Expeditions
Strategic Planning & Disruption Seminar
Digitalization Seminar in Germany
Prowein Trade Fair
People and organization
Personal Branding 2
The MBA Wine & Spirits Business will deliver dramatic new career opportunities for those seeking middle to upper managerial positions in the wine and spirits sector.
- General Management (Managing Director, Founder, Business Unit Director, Area Manager etc.)
- Export (Export Director or Manager)
- Marketing (Marketing Director, Brand Manager, hospitality Manager etc.)
- Sales (International Account Supervisor, national Sales Managers, Area Sales Manager, key Account Manager, Brand Ambassador, Wine Educator etc.)
- Communications (Public Relations Manager, Event Manager etc.)
- Digital Marketing Director
- Purchasing (Buyer)
- Finance (Finance Manager)
Before I started my time at the School of Wines & Spirits Business, I was missing a strong network of industry professionals and I didn’t feel like I had a network in the industry I wished to work in.
Today, I have that network. I am a part of that network, and have a better idea about the industry that I want to work in! When my CBC Web Series aired, I was honoured by the support that the school showed me. It was shared and supported by both faculty and classmates alike. I will always remember this. To know your school supports your achievements is a wonderful feeling.
Miranda McCage – BSB’18 Luxury
Backsberg Estate Cellars
(Stellenbosch, South Africa)
Culture, landscapes and traditions at the very heart of Burgundy Wines
The legendary Wine Route sprinkled with vineyards and the very best wines in the world:
- Romanée-Conti, Clos de Vougeot, Meursault, Pommard, Nuits-Saint-Georges at the heart of the Côte de Nuits and Côte de Beaune,
- The famous village of Chablis, including its appellation grand cru
- The villages of Givry and Rully in Saône-et-Loire and the Premiers crus of the Côte Chalonnaise
World-renowned Hospices de Beaune Wine Sale and international exposure boosted by the forthcoming opening of the International Gastronomy and Wine Exhibition Centre in Dijon.
key figures of Burgundy
- 29 000 ha of vines
- 33 Grands Crus Vineyards
- 84 world renowned Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée (AOC)
- 4,200 winegrowers, traders and cooperatives
- 1 bottle out of every 2 produced in Burgundy exported
- 36 Burgundy wines in the Top 50 mosT expensive wines of the world
- #1 – The closesT still wine producer to Paris
did you know?
Since July 4th 2015, the «Climats» (terroirs) of Burgundy have been registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List in recognition of the unique know-how, the heritage, and the exceptional character of more than 1250 parcels of vines.
The city has 250,000 inhabitants including 33,000 students, and offers a vibrant student life. Here people enjoy good living and a strong sense of community. The city is a rich mix between culture and food, plus plenty of trendy wine bars. Each summer, Dijon resounds to the beat of free concerts: folk and jazz enthusiasts will enjoy concerts in the parks and gardens.
Dijon is also the gateway to the Côte de Nuits vineyard where several Grand Cru are produced.
BURGUNDY SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
A leading business school
Top 1% of business schools in the world
an Urban Campus, located in the very centRE of Dijon
- A unique work environment in the centre of Dijon, a 10-minute walk from the train station (High Speed Train)
- Cultural diversity, 25 student clubs and societies
- A human-size and affordable city (cost of living approx. 750€/month including accommodation)
- New premises: a Learning Center, co-working and creativity rooms, relaxing areas (sports halls, dance & music studios etc.) and a dedicated building for the Wine & Spirits programmes
a long tradition of welcoming international students
A dedicated team welcomes you!
MBA students benefit from specific support:
- Administrative and accommodation support,
- Dedicated team to help you with lodging, pick-up at Dijon train station on recommended dates of arrival, and some administrative issues
- Induction week with free workshops,
- Organized trips to discover Burgundy and Dijon
100% English track
3 academic semesters
- Semester 1: September-December: courses, conferences and field trips (Burgundy, Champagne)
- Semester 2: January to mid-May: courses, conferences and field trips (Germany, London, NYC)
- Semester 3: June to December: professional thesis and optional internship
- Non-EU: July 15th, 2021
- EU: September 1st, 2021
- French Masters (level 1) or non-French Bachelor’s degree
- IELTS 6.5, TOEIC 800 or equivalent
- Three years of professional experience
- Proven passion for wine and/or spirits
- Online application form
- Oral motivation interview with the Head of the programme (face-to-face or Skype)
Tuition fees 2020-2021
MBA Life in France and Burgundy
Step into our culture
With one of the most prestigious cultural heritages in the world, France’s impact can be found in all areas of society including science, politics, economics, art, fashion, music and cuisine.
As a thriving hub of creative activity, you’ll experience an endless variety of festivals, concerts, museums, theatres, cinemas, street art, and more.
France is the seventh-largest economy in the world
More than chic and sophisticated, the French are also known for their creativity, ideas and entrepreneurial spirit.
France holds the #6 position worldwide for the most international patents filed.
France is also the European country with the best representation in the list of the Top 100 Most Innovative Companies.
Over 30 French companies are in the Fortune Global 500 ranking.
France is home to more than 10 unicorn start-ups valued at more than USD 1 billion.
France is a multicultural and open society, proud of its history and yet simultaneously looking to the future.
By studying at BSB in France, you will receive a top ranked education and experience our famous art de vivre – come see for yourself why the French lifestyle is renowned worldwide!