Last Updated on October 3, 2022 by MBA Gateway Team
If you go and talk to the admission committee of a business school, you will see that there are a lot of engineers in the applicant pool. They are viewed as a close cousin to accountants. Their roles are often technical. However, many of them are represented in varied industries. As a result, it is not unusual to see engineering candidates from pharmaceuticals, start-up ventures, technology companies, and even NASA.
Valuable Engineer Skill Set
• Strong with numbers
• Technically advanced
• Project management exposure
• Doers: implementation experience
• Poor communication skills
• Executors, not strategic or big-picture thinkers
• Poor interpersonal skills
What to Do
• Demonstrate that you have the vision and that you can come up
with an idea, sell it to people, and rally people behind a goal.
• Show personality besides being smart and great at your
job. Show that you have a life outside work that is dynamic
• Show that you are flexible, can go with the flow, and are
not limited by only one approach or idea.
• Make sure you demonstrate your real need for the MBA
to get you closer to your career goals.
• Stress your interpersonal and people-related skills and