Last Updated on March 3, 2023 by MBA Gateway Team
This article is a part-of ‘MBA Careers’ Series
Best MBA programs for Doctors
While pursuing an MBA degree is not a common path for doctors, it can be a good option for those who want to combine their medical knowledge with business skills to work in healthcare management, medical research, or pharmaceuticals. Here are some of the best MBA programs for doctors:
- Harvard Business School: Harvard offers a two-year MBA program that can be tailored to suit the needs of doctors who want to pursue a career in healthcare management. The program combines classroom learning with experiential opportunities, such as working on real-world healthcare projects.
- Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania: Wharton offers a healthcare management program that focuses on healthcare delivery, innovation, and technology. The program is designed for healthcare professionals who want to develop business skills to advance their careers.
- Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University: Kellogg offers an executive MBA program that is designed for healthcare professionals. The program combines online and in-person learning and includes courses on healthcare economics, healthcare law, and healthcare policy.
- Fuqua School of Business at Duke University: Duke offers a healthcare sector management program that is designed for healthcare professionals who want to develop their leadership and management skills. The program includes courses on healthcare strategy, healthcare finance, and healthcare operations.
- Sloan School of Management at MIT: Sloan offers a healthcare certificate program that is designed for healthcare professionals who want to develop their management skills. The program includes courses on healthcare operations, healthcare marketing, and healthcare entrepreneurship.
Tips for Doctors Pursuing an MBA:
- Understand the career path: It is essential to understand the career opportunities available to doctors with an MBA degree, as well as the skills and experience required to succeed in these roles.
- Network with professionals in the field: Networking with professionals in the healthcare management industry can help doctors gain insights into the field, build relationships, and explore job opportunities.
- Use your medical expertise: Doctors should leverage their medical knowledge and expertise in healthcare management roles to develop innovative solutions and strategies.
- Consider dual degrees: Some MBA programs offer dual degree programs that combine an MBA degree with a medical degree, such as a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DDM).
- Gain practical experience: Pursuing internships or consulting projects in healthcare management can help doctors gain practical experience and develop the skills necessary to succeed in the field.
Table: Top 20 Business Schools for Doctors
- Harvard Business School
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
- Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
- Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago
- Sloan School of Management at MIT
- Columbia Business School
- Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
- Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley
- Yale School of Management
- Fuqua School of Business at Duke University
- Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan
- Johnson School of Management at Cornell University
- Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia
- McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin
- Kenan-Flagler Business School at UNC Chapel Hill
- Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota
- Kelley School of Business at Indiana University
- Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University
- Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis