Last Updated on March 3, 2023 by MBA Gateway Team
This article is a part-of ‘MBA Careers’ Series
Best MBA programs for a Career in Sustainability
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in sustainability and want to earn an MBA, there are several excellent programs to consider. These programs will give you the skills and knowledge you need to address sustainability challenges and opportunities in a variety of sectors, including corporate sustainability, sustainable finance, and environmental management. Here are some of the best MBA programs for a career in sustainability:
- Yale School of Management – The Yale School of Management offers a unique MBA in Sustainability program that focuses on the intersection of business and the environment. The program includes courses in environmental economics, sustainable finance, and corporate sustainability management. Students also have the opportunity to participate in the Yale Center for Business and the Environment, which provides networking opportunities and hands-on experience.
- University of Michigan Ross School of Business – The Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan offers a dual-degree program in business and sustainability. The program combines the school’s MBA program with a Master of Science in Sustainable Systems. Students gain expertise in sustainable business practices, sustainable supply chain management, and environmental policy.
- University of California, Berkeley Haas School of Business – The Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley offers a sustainability certificate for MBA students. The certificate requires students to take a set of core sustainability courses, along with electives in sustainability and related topics. Students also have the opportunity to participate in the Center for Responsible Business, which provides networking opportunities and research projects.
- Stanford Graduate School of Business – The Stanford Graduate School of Business offers a joint-degree program in business and the environment, which combines the MBA program with a Master of Science in Environment and Resources. The program focuses on developing innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and prepares students for careers in environmental management, sustainable investing, and corporate sustainability.
- Presidio Graduate School – Presidio Graduate School is a sustainability-focused business school that offers an MBA in Sustainable Management. The program includes courses in sustainable finance, social entrepreneurship, and environmental policy. Students also participate in real-world sustainability projects through the school’s partnership with local organizations.
- Network: Connect with professionals in the sustainability field through industry events and alumni networks from your MBA program. Attend sustainability conferences and join sustainability organizations to meet people in the field.
- Gain practical experience: Look for internships or projects that allow you to work on sustainability-related projects. This experience will be valuable when applying for jobs in the field.
- Develop specialized skills: Consider taking additional courses or certifications in specialized areas such as sustainable finance, renewable energy, or sustainable supply chain management.
An MBA in sustainability can prepare you for a career in a growing and impactful field. By choosing the right program and gaining practical experience, you can build a successful career while making a positive impact on the environment and society.
Table: Top 20 Business Schools for Sustainability
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Canada
- Alliance Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, UK
- MIT Sloan School of Management, US
- The University of Vermont Grossman School of Business, US
- University of Bath School of Management, UK
- University of Cambridge Judge Business School, UK
- University of St. Gallen, Switzerland
- Audencia Business School, France
- HEC Paris, France
- University of Mannheim Business School, Germany
- University of Edinburgh Business School, UK
- University of Exeter Business School, UK
- University of Oxford Saïd Business School, UK
- University of San Diego School of Business, US
- Hult International Business School, US
- University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business, Canada
- George Washington University School of Business, US
- INSEAD, France/Singapore
- Yale School of Management, US
- Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary, Canada
source: Corporate Knights Better World MBA ranking 2023